Board index   FAQ   Search  
Register  Login
Board index Sticky Green Thumbs The Recipe File

CANNABUTTER 3 WAYS

Cannabis edible preparation - recipes, techniques, tips and tricks, science, etc.!

Moderator: thcdom

CANNABUTTER 3 WAYS

Postby Carrie » Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:14 pm

[b]Cannabutter #1[/b]
Ingredients: 1 lb (450 g) butter
1 oz (28 g)good ganja or hash or 2 oz (57 g) leaves

Method: Melt the butter slowly in the pan. Grind down your ganja to a fine powder and sift out any stalky bits. Gently add to the melted butter and stir in well. It will turn dark green if you're using grass.
Keep on a low heat for up to a half an hour without letting it burn, giving it plenty of stirring.
Then pour through a fine strainer squeezing all the butter into a jug. You can use the mush in a drink or simply compost it. Pour your Cannabutter into jars and seal them tightly for storage in the fridge. If you cover the hardened butter with a little water, this will help it keep a little longer.

[b]Cannabutter #2[/b]
Melt 0.5 kg of butter or ghee in a saucepan. Add several ounces of finely sifted marijuna. Simmer and stir for a few minutes until the butter takes on a greenish color of the grass.
Pour the butter through a fine stainer. Press the mash firmly to squeeze out as much butter as possible. A little heat may be applied beneath the mash to help the butter flow better.
Do not discard the leafy material. Simmer it in (hot) milk or vodka and sweeten with honey to make a tasty and effective beverage.
For extra potency the process may be repeated by heating more marijuana in the same butter. Otherwise do as above.
To store cannabutter may be frozen or kept for a long time in the refrigerator by pouring water over it.
A simpler and more potent cannabutter can be done by using hashish or hash oil instead of marijuana. Heat and stir until all the hash or oil dissolves in the butter. As much hash or oil may be used as desired as it will dissolve very easily.

[b]Cannabutter #3

Fill a large pot 1/3 the way with crushed and crumbled bud and leaf. Fill the pot 3/4 way with a mixture of 1 part butter and 4 more parts water. Boil for 30 minutes stirring frequently.
Remove as much debris from the bottom as possible. Allow the liquids to cool to room temperature,then refrigerate. The butter will harden on the top and can be removed. Be gentle to keif layer. Discard the water.
If a stronger product is desired the process can be repeated with fresh water and grass.

[/b]
Carrie

Postby cupcake » Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:08 pm

The third method has been the best I find. As someone who forgets things easily (damn fibro-fog :roll: ), I appriciate the fact that you're least likely to burn your bud using this method.
cupcake

Hey cupcake!

Postby Carrie » Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:59 am

Thanks for your feed back, I'm with you, less to worry about the better. :)
Carrie

Re: CANNABUTTER 3 WAYS

Postby smokeskunk420 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:55 pm

Carrie wrote:
Cannabutter #3[b]

Fill a large pot 1/3 the way with crushed and crumbled bud and leaf. Fill the pot 3/4 way with a mixture of 1 part butter and 4 more parts water. Boil for 30 minutes stirring frequently.
Remove as much debris from the bottom as possible. Allow the liquids to cool to room temperature,then refrigerate. The butter will harden on the top and can be removed. Be gentle to keif layer. Discard the water.
If a stronger product is desired the process can be repeated with fresh water and grass.

Its weired because most similar butter recipies say to simmer for 12-24 hrs... http://www.torontohemp.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=804

I am wondering if a 30 min boil will give the same results..
smokeskunk420

Both work!

Postby Carrie » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:00 pm

Use a candy and fry thermometer, don't let it get above 190 but it has to get above 160, carefull eyes this way. The simmering and crockpot methods are more forgiving
Carrie

Postby smokeskunk420 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:48 pm

cool thanks! :)
smokeskunk420

Postby Neal » Fri May 14, 2010 7:43 am

Do you have to use dried herb or can you use fresh cut herb? Just that I have run out of butter.
Thanks,
Neal.
Neal

Postby Carrie » Fri May 14, 2010 7:55 am

Both will be fine just the dryed/cured might be a bit stronger,xoxo
Carrie

Postby Neal » Fri May 14, 2010 9:50 am

Carrie wrote:Both will be fine just the dryed/cured might be a bit stronger,xoxo

Thank You Carrie!
Neal.
Neal

Re: CANNABUTTER another WAY

Postby 1Joint » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:44 pm

I make it the simple way,

Flower shake 100g (Grind to a flower) Or use 1/2 OZ bud
Boil 1 Liter of water in pot
add 1lb butter
Bring both to boil
Stir in flowered shake or bud
Let boil for 5 min to disenfect all matter
Simmer for 8-10 hours at about 190f
Stirring occasionally
turn off heat and allow to cool at room temperature
Place in fidge and allow to cool outside
remove hardened butter on surface
rince off any plant matter from butter
Enjoy
1Joint

Postby dana » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:00 pm

Can this be made with the discarded male plant leaves?? If so ..how???
Also, how do you make the chocolate bars??? :?: :?: :?:
dana

Postby pat » Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:45 am

I think I got a little high just from standing over the pot making this! I also licked my fingers after straining.
NOTE: I used margarine and it's not solidifying, but it still forms at the top in a pasty spread like state.
I used about 150 grams of margarine and a half o of shake ( referenced from 450 g butter:1 oz bud).
Thanks for the recipe!
pat

Postby judy » Sat May 04, 2013 5:06 pm

just get a magical butter kettle, it is so easy, best thing ever made. cleans up good. no over cooking, makes good butter and oil ,
judy

Postby fmj » Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:19 am

Thank you so much for this information Carrie, I always wondered why some recipes say 18-22 hours, and others say 30 minutes. And thanks to you now I know both recipes work. I was doing the 30 minute recipe and have found it to work. So I guess the longer method is much more forgiving.

I think #3 would be the best option for me.

It's nice to know there's some useful information on these forums if one really looks.

-fmj
My name is Wile E. Coyote, Super Genius
fmj

Postby vwhite_1984 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:19 pm

Thanks for all the comments guys!! I have been spending the afternoon making Canna-Coconut Oil, and as this is my first time (a) using coconut oil instead of canola and (b) my first time making ANY oil in a loooooooooooong time, I really appreciate all the discussion.

I used the method with the water, and literally an industrial-sized tub of coconut oil! It has smelled like heaven in here all afternoon :)
vwhite_1984

Return to The Recipe File